The Logistics Specialist is expected to serve as the global logistics expert for a portfolio of assigned countries and utilize logistics expertise for various countries of delivery. The Specialist is responsible for working within the import/export documentation requirements and managing the smooth shipment and delivery of quality-assured, health-related commodities. The Specialist is expected to ensure compliance with client requirements and is expected to define corrective actions in in cases of irregularities.
The Logistics Specialist is responsible for the smooth implementation of daily Third-Party Logistics (3PLs) operations and provides proactive management from goods readiness through last mile/in-country delivery. Coordinating closely with 3PLs, the Specialist is expected to support the troubleshooting of transport and delivery issues. The Specialist is expected to provide customer service excellence to all stakeholders. The Specialist is expected to provide regular status updates on shipments and address questions, concerns, and/or change requests that the client may have in coordination with the Sourcing and Client Services Units and/or 4PL Subdivision and other stakeholders as needed.
The Logistics Specialist is also responsible for maintaining data accuracy from the point of goods readiness to proof of delivery and confirmation of receipt; and for working with the Sourcing and Client Services Units to ensure the supply chain is established and executed to key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Ensure timely logistics execution (plan, execute, monitor) of the international transport of goods, including high value & temperature sensitive products, into the specific countries (export, shipping lanes etc.), the importation and clearance, and in-country delivery of goods for all categories of products managed in collaboration with different 3PL partners.
- Lead troubleshooting of transport and delivery challenges; address other issues as they arise.
- Monitor closely all assigned shipments and proactively mitigate or remove any delays & risk on country level.
- Monitor vendor overall performance on a regular basis to ensure necessary export documents are received timely and orders are delivered on time, in full.
- Provide advice or assistance for vendors on documents required for the importation of pharmaceuticals and medical supplies in countries of destination, working with the Sourcing and Client Services Units.
- Collaborate on a daily basis with internal stakeholders, such as Strategic Supply Chain and Client Service Units, to address business challenges and opportunities at the order level to provide high quality solutions to the recipients.
Client Relationship Management:
- Provide proactive customer service while acting as primary point of contact for logistics to principal recipients, client, 3PLs, vendors, and other stakeholders.
- Provide regular and timely updates (Order Overviews) to principal recipients and ensure principal recipients are able to track orders using visibility platform and deliver training as necessary.
- Provide training to 3PL partners, as a part of the on boarding process, on importation requirements for portfolio countries and review importation processes and communication expectations in coordination with the 4PL Services Subdivision.
- Work collaboratively with the principal recipients, vendors, internal and external, and partner organisations on logistical issues.
- Handle all shipment-related incidents; log incidents into Incident Management System, provide inputs for incident investigation and contribute to the resolution within incident set timelines.
- Maintain country-profiles with the most up-to-date information for each of the assigned portfolio countries with key information on country context/requirements knowledge and expertise including in-country supply chain issues regarding storage and/or delivery of goods.
- Work closely with 4PL Services and the client to monitor waiver lead times, and update the matrix as necessary. Additionally, communicate key changes in waiver lead time and/or process in country to Logistics Manager for proper escalation.
- Maintain system-related changes required on planned shipment costs, milestones, and confirmation of delivery in coordination with the 3PLs throughout the shipment management process.
- Maintain and update ERP system at the order and shipment levels, to ensure internal data accuracy and external reporting are optimal.
- Adhere to established logistics policies and standard operating procedures, and seek and identify opportunities for improvements in the operational processes and daily activities.
- Provide inputs into final invoicing documentation and approval process in coordination with 4PL Services and Finance & Accounting Units.
- Ensure that country shipping instructions are updated periodically, sharing updates with Strategic Supply Chain and Client Services Units and vendors as needed.
- Contribute to the development of work-instructions and standard operating procedures.
- Document and share all relevant information concerning logistics knowledge.
- Perform collection activities via telephone and emails.
- Help to clean up an old portfolio of French customers.
- Administer and monitor overdue payments within company guidelines and procedures.
- Interact daily with internal and external stakeholders, including the management team, finance, sales and customers.
- Ensure that customer details and account information is up to date.
- Handle client queries and solve any issues in order to create good relationships.
- Coordinate and monitor payment plan proposals.
- Work together with the Credit Risk team when required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in logistics, transportation, supply chain management, public health, or other related area or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years’ experience in supply chain operations, transport, or logistics required.
- Critical operational and complex organizational problem solving experience required.
- Previous client relations or customer service experience required.
- Experience with ERP or other supply chain management system required.
- Experience in supply chain with high value and temperature sensitive products is preferred.
- Experience in the international, public health sector is preferred.
- Previous experience working with international donor agencies, preferred.
- Experience working in a developing country a plus.
- Fluency in English is required; other languages (French, Spanish, Portuguese) are a plus.
- Excellent written/verbal communication and interpersonal skills with strong sense of customer service.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously, set priorities and work in a team with diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Solution oriented with a high sense of quality, attention to detail, accuracy, efficiency and meeting tight deadlines.
- Team player who is also able to work independently and handle conflicting priorities while maintaining consistent, quality performance standards.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks within tight deadlines and prioritize effectively, while delivering high quality work.
- Ability to work comfortably with Microsoft Office software, specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Knowledge of Microsoft Project desirable.